Goulash. Whatever it really is.

The past couple of weeks (or more) had us eat out quite a lot. Or have food delivered. Because I have been SO TIRED. I have missed cooking. I still cook, but not as often as before moving to our new place.

Then my friend, Rhea, sent a picture of the food she cooked. It looked so good, and suddenly I wanted something good to eat and cook. I thought of what I had in stock and what I could make out of them. Ta dah! Goulash!

Goulash! I love saying "goulash"

I was confused what goulash really is since it simply looked to me as macaroni in beef tomato sauce. It looked special when I see it in Pinterest. I searched for it again and found a recipe from Pip and Ebby that I think I could make. I had most some of the ingredients.

Very easy to prepare

I did not have diced tomatoes in can, so I used fresh tomato. And since I did not want to transfer and store extra tomato sauce, I used the whole can and changed the ratio of diced tomatoes to the sauce. I did not have Italian seasoning, so I substituted with dried basil and dried oregano (in 50-50 portions).  I did not have yellow onion, so I used regular purple onion. Then I just had to add cheese.

The recipe calls for two pounds (or almost a kilogram) of beef, but I only had roughly 150 grams of ground beef. Obviously I had to scale the recipe. See my slightly tweaked version below.

Waiting for it to cook. What's in store for me?

Turns out it really is just macaroni in beef tomato sauce. Goulash. Just another name. Rich in flavor and texture, it is good to have for lunch or dinner. I made this for snack. Not a good choice for an afternoon snack if you're having steak for dinner.

Almost ready!

Now that I've tried Pip and Ebby's Best Ever American Goulash, I think I'm ready to venture out to other versions or try to make my own. For now, enjoy my slightly tweaked take of their recipe. Head out to their site for the real one. :)



print recipe

Some Kind of a Goulash
A slightly tweaked version of a macaroni pasta in beefy tomato sauce recipe from Pip and Ebby
Ingredients
  • 150 g ground beef
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 1 can (8 oz or 227 g) tomato sauce
  • 1 medium onion, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 tsp dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 slice Edam cheese
  • 120 grams or 2 heaping cups macaroni pasta
  • 1/2 cup water
  • salt and peper to taste
  • 2 tsp olive oil (optional)
Instructions
1. Brown ground beef in a pan over medium heat.2. Drain excess oil. Alternatively, add olive if no oil came out from browning the beef. Proceed to saute onion and garlic.3. Add diced tomato, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, dried herbs and water.4. When the sauce boils, add the pasta. Simmer for 16 to 18 minutes (how long actually will depend on the pasta that you use).5. Add cheese and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste to finish the dish.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 2-3

No comments