On the road to getting up early: Establishing an evening routine

Just this week, I set out an ambitious goal to get up early every day. I'm absolutely not a morning person so this is a big deal for me (and my hubby and my friends and perhaps anyone who knows how NOT a morning person I am.)

On the road to getting up early: Establishing an evening routine || Kate F. Abad // Photo from Unsplash


My initial goal is to get up at 7:00 AM, then work on getting up at 6:00 AM. This has been inspired by Reymond's insistence that I do it so I'd get work done, and solidified by an article I've read in Entrepreneur.



My plan was to start last Monday. This is the third day, and I am still grudgingly getting up closer to 8:00 AM. The problem: I can't get myself to sleep early. I have been a night person for so long, and having a me time at night for so long, that I can't go to sleep even if I wanted to.

Thankfully, I found this nice list of tips from Beauty in the Mess to improve productivity. I like it because it is more practical for stay-at-home moms like me. I just have to modify it for this side of the world.

Still a work in progress, here's my initial 10 tasks before 10:00 PM:

  1. Clean up after dinner. I hate doing this.
  2. Wash the bottles. I wish Mateo finally stops using bottles.
  3. Tidy up excessive clutter. I also hate doing this.
  4. Take a shower. Or simply freshen up.
  5. Put away clean laundry (whenever applicable).
  6. Prepare clothes for the next day.
  7. Unplug. Put the phone away from my side of the bed.
  8. Journal. Brain dump. Evaluate the day.
  9. Read a real book. Even if they are children's books.
  10. Get 8 hours of sleep.

It's going to take me a little bit of time to get used to this. For now, good night! :)

No comments